Manichithrathazhu (1993)

As I write this, something devastating has happened for the Indian film landscape- the death of Irrfan Khan, who was one of the best actors to come out of the country. Personally, it has left me both numb and shaken, and I fully expect that when it hits me, I will not stop crying for days.

But as for now, I will restrict my words to what I thought of Manichithrathazhu, the source of other legendary films like Chandramukhi (2005), and of course, Bhool Bhulaiyaa (2007), the latter of which I'd watched in the theater back when it had first released. Now, I think it would be disingenuous for me to compare the two movies- I haven't seen Bhool Bhulaiyaa in years, so it would not be fair. That being said, had I seen Manichithrathazhu first, I don't think I would have been interested in Bhool Bhulaiyaa. A Malayali friend recently told me that Priyadarshan basically lifted Manichithrathazhu and transplanted it to Rajasthan, with no changes in the context whatsoever, which has obviously led to several "lost in translation" moments.

However, I do like Bhool Bhulaiyaa- it is one of Canadian Kumar's better performances, and Vidya Balan was a treat to watch. Plus, the music still slaps, after 13 years. Wow, is Bhool Bhulaiyaa a teenager now? LOL. Sorry for the lameness.

I want to make one thing clear though- Shobana is a GODDESS. There can be no two opinions about it. Every expression, every movement is so natural. And then comes the dance, which is hypnotising, mesmerising, and so much more beyond mortal words. You cannot take your eyes off of her, it would be a crime to do it. Also, every single outfit of hers is a LEWK here. I can happily watch every single movie of hers, after this, and Anantaram (1987), which I saw some weeks back.

The music is excellent, always a bonus point. And so are the comedy scenes. However, I do have some issues with the movie's treatment of mental illness, and of course, the pervasive sexism. That said, not too bad for an early '90s movie. Would not mind rewatching it with a friend one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)