Coolie No. 1 (1991)

Technically, I watched Coolie Raja, the Hindi dubbed version, but whatever. I will learn Telugu one day and go back and watch the OG one.

Now, I've said this before, and I'll say it again- TCU is a gift that just keeps on giving. This has to be my favourite god-tier movie; nay, as R pointed out, this is GODDESS-tier. All thanks to Queen T, the best actor to ever exist. Any casual observer can appreciate her acting in films like The Namesake (2006), Andhadhun (2018), etc., but it's her debut movie (as a lead actor), Coolie No. 1, that made me realise just what a gem she is.

The movie is so bad, it's brilliant. Not for a second did I have any doubt that it would turn out to be a good movie- the scene where Raju (Venkatesh) explains why he's Coolie No. 1 took care of that. I was actually keeping a list of all the problematic boxes it ticked off, and honestly, it covered most of them. And if that isn't enough to propel it to the top of the god tier list, I don't know what is.

Also, Venkatesh man, what a range. This one came out the same year as Kshana Kshanam, and together, the two have made me a Venky convert. 

As for Queen T, every look of hers was a bomb here. I took so many screenshots, and I am not ashamed to admit that, because as Madhubala taught all of us, jab pyaar kiya toh darna kya? My commitment to TCU has been strengthened now, and I can't wait to go down that spiral again. Yippeee.

Can't wait to rewatch this. And as always, #noragrets. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)