Race (2008)

Like I said before when I "reviewed" Humraaz (2002), no one does god-tier cinema like Abbas-Mustan. This was crazy from start to finish, and well, who would have it any other way?

Akshaye Khanna, needless to say, is the best actor in this movie. I don't know how big a compliment that is, considering that this movie also stars luminaries like Katrina Kaif and Bipasha Basu. However, I must say that I'm having trouble removing Saif shouting "Run, Sonia!" from my memory, and if that is not the sign of a true artist, I don't know what is. 

I would have called the soundtrack a "bop", but this morning I discovered that 2 of the most iconic songs are actually rip-offs of other songs. "Zara Zara Touch Me" (I want the dress Katrina is wearing tho) is a copy of Leehom Wang's "Deep Within a Bamboo Grove" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzTAOttZec); and "Pehli Nazar Mein" is lifted from the Korean song "Sarang Hae Yo" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayfx4KXa-_Q). Spoiler alert tho: the OGs are way better sounding than their shameless copies. 

Also, what the frick was Sameera Reddy's character wearing (I have already forgotten her name, bless the Lord) ON DUTY?? And what in god's name was going on with Bipasha's wardrobe? So tacky ugh. Speaking of tacky, the "humour" in this movie was so unnecessarily vile and disgusting. Someone destroy patriarchy already, COME ON. 

As Baradwaj Rangan said, "the thriller doesn't have a single dull moment in it, or a single brain cell, for that matter." That's pretty much it. Also, nice to know that Pritam was the OG K-pop stan. #TheMoreYouKnow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)