Chandramukhi (2005)

Everyone, including the source story (Manichitrathazhu), was wasted here. Even though this movie had started annoying me before the 10-minute mark, I had hoped that Jyothika would salvage it. And she does, in a way, and so do Nassar, Vadivelu and Prabhu, but only to an extent. I also had expectations from Vineeth and Sonu Sood, but my god I can't even blame any of these people. The script was so poorly written, and relied so much on tacky horror sequences that everything just felt like a let-down. Especially because I had just seen Manichitrathazhu a week back and had fallen in love with the way it's told all over again. 

Actually I would like to amend my earlier statement that the script is poorly written- it's pretty brilliant in its own way, when the person watching it is a Rajinikanth fan. Since I am not one (I haven't seen too many of his movies, so I guess I'm neutral), all the scenes glorifying him (which was like 95% of the entire movie) just went over my head and contributed to my irritation at what was happening on screen. I was waiting for Jyo to come and rock my world, or for Sonu Sood to do something iconic, but no- every decent bit was reserved for Rajini and I was left fuming. 

Even then, I had dared to hope that the climax would somehow make me a little more fond of this travesty, but my god, this was one disappointment after another. Firstly, the build-up was not just way too long, but also completely WRONG on so many levels. Secondly, I gave up when I saw Vineeth dancing (not the past Vineeth, but the present day Vineeth). I was just waiting for it to get over so that I could sleep. Oh yeah, I had decided to watch it at night to get full creeps, but obviously that didn't happen. Sigh. 

Maybe my next "horror"/"thriller" outing will be more successful. One can only hope. *duayein hands emoji*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)