Manathe Vellitheru (1994)

Spoilers ahead:

Just a bunch of really good actors elevating a decent script- that's the best summary I can come up with for this movie. Vineeth was truly scary as the obsessed stalker, and at the same time, equally pitiful. I blame patriarchy. Shobana was a lot of fun as Merlin, the popstar, and watching her stage performances reminded me again that movies where Shobs dances are superior to all other movies. It's a scientific fact, you can look it up. Lakshmi is as golden as always- I don't think I'll ever forget the scene where she goes insane and kills her husband and then wants to kill her son too. Spine-chilling. And the thing is, Mukesh's character actually tells this whole thing beforehand, so it's not a surprise or anything and yet, Lakshmi leaves you shook. Legends only.

My biggest complaint with the movie is that the ending is too simplistic and feels rushed. I wish they had paid more attention to accurately and sensitively depicting such severe mental illness, especially considering that Fazil had previously directed the classic Manichitrathazhu (1993). I would have loved to see Vineeth getting the help and care he deserved. *cries in Malayalam*.

Humble request to universe: please cast Shobana, Lakshmi, Vineeth and Mukesh in a movie again. We need this talent for nourishment. Thanks in advance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)