Fidaa (2017)

Spoilers ahead:

Let me begin this "review" by talking about the one thing that'll keep me coming back to this masterpiece: the accurate af middle child representation of Varun (Varun Tej). It was so realistic, warm and lovely to experience, which is why I have to say- PROTECT SEKHAR KAMMULA AT ALL COSTS. 

No seriously, he is probably the only writer-director I'd trust with heterosexual romances, and also, writing both men and women. I love how everyone has their flaws and they don't necessarily overcome them as a plot point. The plot remains refreshingly simple- two people meet, and we follow them on their journey. The film doesn't spell everything out, which adds to the magic of falling in love and really, makes everything that much more delightful. And the thing is, so much in Fidaa could have gone wrong- they could have added extra messaging to the fact that Varun chooses to stay in India in the end, they could have stretched the anti-caste bit and made it preachy and hence reduced its significance, they could have made a big deal out of Bujji being adopted- but no, no, no. Sekhar Kammula is a superior being. I mean, he literally writes men better than god himself. Also, that airport scene? I have wanted to hug Varun ever since I saw it, and damnit, that feeling isn't going away anytime soon. In fact, instead of trying to jot down all my incoherent thoughts, I should have just "reviewed" this movie by saying that I want to give Varun a tight hug as well, because honestly, nothing sums up my feelings better.

In the end, I would just like to say that I had basically given up on romcoms, but Sekhar Kammula has given me hope again. What a wonderful man. Here's hoping Chaitu doesn't mess Love Story up. *duayein hands emoji*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)