Pokkiri Raja (1982)

I think this film might have finally converted me into appreciating Rajinikanth and his brand of acting. He kills it in a double role, especially as Raja (yep, Pokkiri Raja himself), and his chemistry with Raadhika is amazing to watch. Speaking of Raadhika though, she was easily my favourite here (tough luck, Sridevi amma, but it is what it is). She was just so damn entertaining, and I can only imagine the kind of riot (sensitive word to use considering at what intersection of history and geography I am living in right now) people would have had watching it in the theatre. 

Some parts in the beginning haven't aged all that well, but those fight scenes where Sridevi and Raadhika bashed up villains along with Rajini (they weren't "helping" him, oh no, they were WITH HIM) gave my soul and #feminism a new lease on life. The title track is a bop, and I have been playing it ever since I finished watching the film. 

As they say, nothing like a good old masala entertainer for mood upliftment. Especially one with an excellent plot-line involving look-alikes. In my concluding statement, I would just like to say "chef's kiss".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)