His Highness Abdullah (1990)

Only my second Sibi Malayil film, and I am already in awe of how he manages to fully me draw me into the universe that he creates. It's difficult to not be impressed by his attention to detail, and how every character feels fleshed out enough for you to feel that they do belong in this landscape. This is why I enjoyed His Highness Abdullah as much as I did- I feel like the big plot twist was a bit too convenient, but everything else that had been happening till that point just made it fit so well in the greater scheme of things. But mostly, it was the songs. I loved how they had their own designated place in the narrative, and how so much of the main story was about the love and devotion for music. It's always a win for me to discover a great album through a movie that I liked, and even if you don't end up watching this movie, I'd recommend just zoning out to the album one afternoon. Just thinking about that scenario is getting me excited, to be honest.

I didn't like it as much as I liked Maya Mayooram though, but I think I'll rewatch it one day anyway. Something tells me this is the kind of movie that gets better with a rewatch or two. Inshallah. 

PS- Nedumudi Venu is so good??? I'm sorry, but I just can't get over how I'm amazed by his performance in practically every movie that he stars in. King-u! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)