Mandi (1983)

Trigger warning for inc*st, attempt to s*icide, and s*lf-h*rm.

It's probably a "me" thing but I just found the entire experience of watching this movie "meh". I feel like it tried too much within a limited amount of time, which almost paradoxically made it feel longer than it really was, and left me with a heavy head and a weird feeling throughout the day. I don't want to sound apologetic about a "famous" movie that I didn't like, but even though I understand that there's a lot to appreciate about this movie (the most obvious being the movie's feminist core, and its complete disavowal of the typical savarna feminist who doesn't believe in intersectionality), the movie as a whole just doesn't work for me. What I mean to say is that I don't think that it's a bad film at all, it just isn't for me. 

My biggest problem with the movie has to be the character of Zeenat. I completely fail to understand her motivations, and I don't even want to because the movie is so populated with other characters that I wish the director had picked someone else to focus his energies on. I don't get why Zeenat particularly was chosen as the movie's turning point. Also the whole incest story-line just felt completely unnecessary to me. What was the need? And again, why did Zeenat react to it the way she did? Make it make sense. The movie confused me, not in a good way where I'll spend days pondering over its mysteries, but in a way that makes me want to forget the movie by taking a nap right afterwards. 

One thing I am grateful to this movie for is the cameo appearance by Amrish Puri, which made me love him even more than I already do. And for making me realise finally just what a fine performer Shabana Azmi is- her Rukmini Bai is the reason my interest in the movie didn't completely evaporate after a point. Also, Ratna my love my queen my everything was fantastic even in her tiny role. I do wish there was a little more nuance to Naseeruddin Shah's character; but otherwise, all good. Oh, also- at one point, I responded to Soni Razdan's performance with "Pack it up Alia Bhatt lite" and that's about that. 

To end this "review", I just want to say that this movie has motivated me to explore more of Shabana and Amrish's filmographies. #silverlinings 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)