Mersal (2017)

This was such a treat for Thalapathy stans, even to baby ones like me. He is in full form, and there's hardly a dull moment when he's on screen, and since he is after all, the one and only Thalapathy doing a TRIPLE ROLE, he is almost always on screen. The run time feels a little too long in places, but his fantastic screen presence, dancing, acting, everything more than makes up for it. Plus the story is as engaging and convoluted as you want a mass movie to be, so you're invested till the very end- and WHAT AN END IT IS. I watched his climax monologue at least 6 times, and god knows how many more times I'll revisit it. He's the OG woke bae, as we are all too aware. 

Kajal and Samantha didn't really have much to do, but Nithya Menen really holds her own here. As good as she was though, I couldn't help but remember that Jyothika was supposed to do her role and it made me long for a VJ-Jyo reunion yet again. Someone get those two back together asap!! Also, my boi A.R. Rahman did such a good job with "Aalapooraan Thamizhan"- it most certainly is a bop and a fire one at that. Oh, and I loved the "message" of the movie, especially as the daughter of two doctors in private practice. Wish they had been a little more subtle though, and showed how even mid-level doctors in private practice suffer due to the shoddy healthcare system. Maybe one day we'll get there in our mass movies. I don't know why, but I have hope. Or maybe I'm just optimistic because I really liked Mersal

Either way, I loved the movie and cannot recommend it enough if you love yourself some good old mass. Or if you just want to see 2 hours and 41 minutes of Thalapathy being Thalapathy. 

PS- I was having a lowkey bad day, and let me just say with a lot of affection in my heart that my emotional support dilf really came through. Love you babe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)