Aaru (2005)

A perfect example of a pure, commercial entertainer that doesn't pretend to be more than what it is. A major bright spot is how the acting performances elevate the movie, especially Suriya's, who as the leading man gets the lion's share of screen-time and does most of the work in keeping you invested throughout the run-time. I simply LOVE how the man can act with his eyes, and I hope his upcoming projects really bring out the actor in him in a way we have never seen before. 

Back to Aaru though- despite all the problematic gender dynamics and even r*pe jokes, I couldn't find it in myself to hate the movie. I don't know okay, maybe I am problematic!! This is to clarify I didn't find those "jokes" funny at all, I actually hated them so much that I vowed I wouldn't enjoy the rest of the movie, but... it was just the kind of mass I need right now. I'm sorry. The main conflict was so well done, and Suriya-Ashish Vidyarthi really brought the anger to a whole other level, it was insane. Another part I loved was Trisha- not her character, mind you, just the way she brought it to life with her acting and talent. She always leaves her mark in such heavily masculine mass movies- more proof that she is one of the best actors working in the industry today, and we demand that better scripts and roles are written for her IMMEDIATELY! 

Finally, thank you Suriya anna for playing a character with the same nickname as mine. And for making that name the film's title too. You truly love your fans and it warms my heart so much. Love you!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)