Ponnumani (1993)

Thank you Tamil cinema, for always coming through whenever I need a solid melodrama. This movie was so good with its over-the-top emotional intensity, and as much as I hated Karthik's character in the first half, I have to say that I warmed up to him nicely in the second, thanks to his fabulous acting. However, it's Soundarya's flawless performance as Chinthamani that won me over to this movie: so much so that I even went and rewatched some scenes right after I was done.

Soundarya's performance in the second half reminded me a lot of Sridevi in Sadma. I was crying in some scenes and was just really rooting for a happy ending for the lead pair. If that isn't what a romance is supposed to make you feel, I don't know what is. Ilaiyaraaja's music, it goes without saying, is a winner, and definitely makes the movie better than it would have been without it. King, legend, everything. 

Extra love for the protagonists and how much love they filled in my heart right when I needed it. Also, Soundarya was such a good actor, it's a shame we lost her so soon. RIP. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)