Prema (1989)

In the quickest and most precise way possible, this "review" can be written as: Take Salman Khan out of a film, replace him with a genuinely talented actor, and see the difference. 

I know the ending is also different, but my god. And yes, maybe I am a little (or a lot) biased because I love Venkatesh; however, it simply cannot be denied that what he adds to this story is unmatchable. His pairing with Revathi became an immediate favourite: so young, fresh and pretty, how do I not lose my heart over them?? Ilaiyaraaja's songs are the cherries on top of a very delicious cake, and each one is a bop, a jam, a banger and everything else. Oh, and SPB here is a total cutie, his bonding with Venky is too precious for words.

Mostly though, it's the protagonists' 'prema' that filled me up with warmth and nostalgia for that feeling of falling in love madly for the first time. The way the songs are picturised make it even more endearing, and despite the depressing end, I will only remember this movie with a smile. 

PS- my second Telugu movie without subtitles! Venky mama maaaasss!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)