Bareilly Ki Barfi (2017)

Against my own principles, I kept my expectations high about a post-2011 Hindi movie. In my defence, I had enjoyed the director's Nil Battey Sannata (2016), and I love Rajkummar Rao, so I thought I was justified in expecting a good movie. But no. No no no no no. Rajkummar was probably the only good part of this movie, along with the ever dependable Pankaj Tripathi and Seema Pahwa. Sadly, they were not enough to hide how boring and awful the movie actually was.

Let me start with the adjective "boring": I literally had zero interest in the main love story arc. There was no chemistry to make up for the bad writing, and no good writing to make up for the lack of chemistry. It was pretty tiring to watch after a while, and the atrocious music did nothing to alleviate my suffering. I was only partially interested in the Vidrohi-Rama storyline, but that got ruined thanks to the divorce rhetoric. I know what point they were trying to make about normalising divorce, but I just could not vibe with it. As for the lead performances, I think Kriti Sanon was decent enough, but the writing did nothing to help her. Ayushmann Khurana was pretty intolerable, but I'm not sure if that's his acting or the character itself. Utter waste of effort. By the time the big climax came, I was yawning and silently cursing myself for not choosing a better movie. 

In short, I really don't know what people saw in this movie, and I don't think I'll be watching a post-2011 Bollywood film anytime soon. It's simply too much for me to handle. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)