Maanaadu (2021)

I'm a fan of the time-loop genre and all the possibilities it offers. So, I did enter this one with a lot of expectations, and I'm so glad to report all of them were met!! Especially the excitement I had about mainstream Tamil cinema marrying the time-loop format, that was fulfilled for sure.

Yuvan's background score was genius, and adds the most to a movie where everything is already top-notch. I loved, loved Simbu's performance, and I can't wait for him to return as Abdul Khaliq already. Kalyani was good too, and her chemistry with Simbu was just the perfect amount for a film like this.

However, the best thing about the movie was S.J. Suryah— Maanaadu starts to drag just a little bit around the mid-point, but it's barely noticeable because that's when Suryah comes in with full energy and makes you focus. It's a treat, I tell you. Go watch it.

Also, the politics of the movie are so on point. None of the saviour Good Muslim crap here. It's almost unbelievable it came out right now, in what is probably one of the most polarised communal times this country has ever seen. Hats off to Venkat Prabhu, Simbu, Yuvan, etc. for making it possible.

PS- I almost died when I realised that's S.A. Chandrasekhar as the Chief Minister. Hmm, quite a role for him to do huh. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)