Pushpa: The Rise (2021)

As my best friend said, Pushpa: The Rise should settle the debate of Tollywood supremacy forever: Allu Arjun is the undisputed king of his generation.

My biggest complaint with the movie was how long it was. It could easily have cut down on at least 40 minutes of run-time, had they been smarter about the entire Rashmika track. Speaking of which, how did akka manage to be more annoying and forgettable here than in the magnum opus Sarileru Neekevvaru (2020)? 

Not entirely her fault, I guess, but it's so annoying to see everything else in the movie work out except the female lead's role. Somewhere in the second half I thought that maybe now we'll see some redeeming grace, but no. No chance.

The album was another strong point for me, with 'Oo Antava' becoming an anthem. Exactly the kind of feminist bop we need in these times. 

Sunil as the villain was perfect— I couldn't even recognise him for thr first 2 minutes or so, he was just that good. Also, the scene where Bunny baava lights up Sunil's cigarette had more chemistry than anything that happened between baava and Rashmika. 

Baava also had more chemistry with Fahadh Faasil than he did with his leading lady, and I was lowkey expecting it to have some gay twist towards the end. Not that I am disappointed with the end: I can't wait for the sequel and for baava to set fire to the screen once again.

Pushpa also marked an achievement in my life: for the first time, I managed to be the only person in the entire hall watching the movie. True cinephile, if I may say so myself. 

Thaggedhe le, bitches!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)