Julayi (2012)

Allu Arjun is what Salman Khan fans think Salman Khan is, but he is obviously not even half as talented as ma boi Bunny.

The music is immensely boppable (yes, that's a word), and the title song will probably end up becoming one of my favourite songs of all time- nothing compares to the sheer, almost feral-quality of singing along "MAIN HOON JULAYI" at the top of your voice. In many of his interviews, Allu Arjun has been unapologetically clear that he sees himself as more of an entertainer than a "serious" actor, and we have no choice but to stan. By staying true to himself and his "brand", he is helping all of us accept our inner "trash" selves (not that we should see it as "trash", I am merely owning that word- one must after all, live out one's most authentic self), and as a consequence, accepting his "trash" self too. Whatta clever guy.

With this Tollywood spiral that I am currently in, I am starting to re-discover my love for masala movies. As my friend pointed out, Bollywood has not had a GOOD masala entertainer since Om Shanti Om back in 2007, and we have all suffered for it. Masala movies are not about just brainless and problematic comedy- there has to be a method to the madness, what I like to call being "indigenius" (thank u 4ever, Satish Shah). Bollywood has just been delivering sub-par, formulaic and honestly pointless content in the name of "mass movies" and that's why I'm so glad I got into Tollywood when I did. From Ninne Pelladatha (1996), which was the first Telugu movie I ever saw, to Julayi, the journey has been nothing but pure entertainment. Allu Arjun has cemented his place in my heart, and I cannot wait to watch S/O Satyamurthy (2015) next, thereby completing the Trivikram Srinivas-Allu Arjun holy trinity. Plus, it has Samantha Akkineni, so I am even more excited!

Special mention to Rajendra Prasad, who had me in splits with just a change in expression. And Sonu Sood, thank you for the memes I made on you and sent to my friends. Speaking of Sonu, he was a great villain here, not gonna lie. The true mark of a masala movie must be ascertained by its villain (I must explore this in more detail), and both Sonu and Julayi live up to the 5 stars I am giving them. I mean, of course they do, or why else would I give them 5 stars? Not like I'm getting money or anything for writing this. I am barely getting readers! But oh well, the joy of writing is life-sustaining in itself. Or maybe that's just what I tell myself. Hmmm. Gonna go write my fanfic now, toodles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)