Kaliyoonjal (1997)

The things we do for our faves. Sigh.

Yes, I only watched it for Shobana. And for her chemistry with Mammootty. And keeping just those two things in mind, the movie wasn't a complete let-down. Actually, I wish Gauri (Shobana) had spent a little less time crying. But okay, I could have lived with that. It was a 90s drama, for God's sake. Also, I do appreciate movies where everyone is a bit of a dick (only Gauri and her father were completely nice people in this movie).

No, my problem is with everything else. What exactly was Kaliyoonjal trying to pass off as a moral teaching? I know there was something, because the entire tone of the movie was preachy as fuck. What was it? One shouldn't pamper one's sister so much? One shouldn't love one's brother so much? One shouldn't have epilepsy? WHAT? Also, why couldn't Nandagopalan (Mammootty) just aPOLOGISE to his wife, especially when he could see how distressed she was by his behaviour (I repeat, half of this movie was just Shobana crying)? It annoyed me so much- actually, why didn't anyone apologise to poor Gauri? She was just caught in the stupid web of everyone's ego and stubbornness, while trying to do the right thing. #GauriDeservedBetter

That's it, I guess. I just wanted a nice Shobana-Mammootty movie, and I will not stop till I get one. Also, Dileep sucked. I don't know if my repulsion came from his real-life shittiness, but I just hated him and his acting so much ugh. Like I said, the things we do for our faves. SIGH. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)