Unnai Ninaithu (2002)

The last Suriya movie I saw before this was... Soorarai Pottru. And all I can do after this mind-numbing movie is to thank god for Suriya's glow-up. Not that you can't detect traces of talent here as well (which is why it was a hit, I suppose), but that man has GROWN and it's so beautiful and joyful to witness. 

Apart from this proud moment as a fan, this movie was a complete miss for me. I basically skipped through the parallel comedy track. Thank god (again) for phasing those out- when they were good, they were good, but when they were bad, they took the whole movie down with them (like here). Also it was too long, and I don't see for what purpose. Suriya's character, also titled Surya, was selfless and loving to a fault, and the movie revolved around that. The female characters weren't fleshed out at all, but then again, neither was the male lead so... #feminism, I guess. Just kidding, it's lazy writing, plain and simple. Usually I'm a big fan of these 90s and 00s rom-coms, because they remind me of more innocent times in my own life; this time around though, I was only glad that we as a society have progressed past the need for such formulaic movies (only to be replaced by another kind of formulaic movies, but that's a rant for another day). 

Probably best left for the Suriya DHFs. Rest of you, go and watch Soorarai Pottru. Or Thaana Serndha Koottam. Or Vaaranam Aayiram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)