Indoo Ki Jawani (2020)

Not gonna lie, I was lowkey very curious to see how this movie deals with the subject of female sexuality. Yes, I was aware from the outset that it's going to be a trash-watch, but hey, trash-watches can have some stuff to say about a gal trying to explore her sexuality, can't they? However, in that respect, Indoo Ki Jawani feels like it was written by three extremely horny 16 year-olds from West Delhi who are trying really hard to suppress their homosexuality by fantasising about women together. I could actually end this "review" right here because nothing will ever top that sentence, but I surprisingly do have more stuff to say about this movie, so here we go. 

Firstly, Kiara Advani is actually really funny?? Like she had amazing comic timing, and got the Ghaziabad gurl accent, mannerisms and facial expressions down perfectly??? I must say that I am pleasantly shook by this discovery. Just work on your script-selection girl. PLEASE.

Secondly, I honestly didn't hate it as much as I was expecting to. It was actually a fun-watch, especially because I saw it with a friend who also had mostly similar reactions to it. Don't get me wrong, it's still extremely cringe and offensive on at least 10 different levels, but HEY. I am pretty sure I am not getting "influenced" by any of that mess so let me be. Mallika Dua's character was easily the worst character, and the film could have been loads better had they just eliminated the best friend completely. I swear, 90% of the creepiness comes from her. Otherwise, what can I say? It made me laugh, kept me engaged till the end, made me reflect on how the workers always suffer due to the stupidity of the bourgeoisie, AND made me appreciate the goddess potential of Kiara Advani. Can't complain. Oh and also, the supporting cast was really good, especially Aditya Seal as Samar, the guy who played Kittu, and the delivery guy. It's just sad that the script was so awful. Watch it if you're in the mood to crack some jokes with your friends in a watch-party or something. 

PS- no Hyderabadi would eat biryani in Delhi-NCR (especially NCR) without passing at least 5 snide comments. That should have been Indoo's first clue. Idiot. 

PPS- BAN MEN FROM WRITING AND TELLING WOMEN'S STORIES ALREADY WE HAVE HAD ENUFF. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)