Abhinandana (1988)

This movie is messy from start to finish (and especially at the start and finish) but you know what? It is so perfectly and gloriously messy that I do not mind it a single bit. 

The music is fabulous, (but what else do you expect from the Ilaiyaraaja, S. Janaki, and S.P. Balasubrahmanyam combination?) and is the main reason for me enjoying this film. All the songs are classics, and there is a very special place in my heart for baby Shobana singing 'Chukkalanti Ammayi' for the kids. I love watching her with children so much, it is peak wholesome cinema for me. The dramaTM was also pitch-perfect: not a single boring moment, with everyone being appropriately emotionally intense always. And honestly, that's the kind of exaggeration I needed as a pick-me-up that day, so win-win. Plus, it goes without saying, SHOBANA MAAAAAASSSS (especially because she doesn't die and looks super cute and has a lot of footage AND gets her man).

The ending will probably haunt me for years as being completely unnecessary and I feel bad for the kids, but really, Shakespeare should have taken a few lessons from Ashok Kumar when he sat down to write Romeo & Juliet. Those stupid teenagers pale in comparison to the glory of Kamala akka and her husband. 

PS- I am lowkey in love with the colouring and cinematography of this movie. Can I call myself a cinephile yet??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)