Nayak (1966)

There are so many layers to Satyajit Ray's narrative that I can easily watch this 4 more times and always find something new to marvel over. One of the movies that will continue to age like fine wine as the time passes because it is one of the most honest portrayals of not just stardom and how people react to those considered "larger-than-life", but it also a truthful document of just how obsessed Indians are with their cine idols. Manik Da really knew what was up when he wrote and directed this. 

Also, Uttam Kumar?! He has got to be one of the most visually arresting people I have ever seen. He's the kind of actor and star whose screen presence automatically transports you to a cinema hall. I don't know how else to explain it. It's so easy to feel as convoluted as he does in the dream sequences: not specifically because they're relatable, but by this point in the narrative, you have accepted Arindam Mukherjee as THE superstar. What a brilliant performer, and I can't wait to watch more movies of his (especially the ones with Suchitra Sen). As for Sharmila Tagore... demure but fierce is the perfect way to describe her. I have officially fallen in love with Sharmila ji, I fear, because everything I want to say about her feels less. Maybe I really do need to watch this movie again to be coherent about it.

There is also a very personal reason for me being so awed by Nayak. Arindam is the embodiment of how I see Shah Rukh Khan, my all-time favourite actor since I was 5 years old. I could see a lot of parallels in their stories and personalities too, especially the part where Arindam ends up in the newspapers for assaulting someone in public. Shah Rukh has literally done that, that too to protect someone he was very close to (his daughter Suhana). Both Arindam and Shah Rukh lost their parents at a young age, and had to grow up before their time. And of course, the larger-than-life aspect of their megastardom. The only major difference is probably the marital status. And obviously, the fact that Shah Rukh Khan is not travelling with the common public anytime soon. The movie is from 1966 after all. But it's the SRK parallels that took my breath away and made me appreciate the movie more keenly. So much of what I have felt for him over the years was represented in this movie- it's literally like Manik Da read my diaries or something. 

Lastly, I want to thank Manik Da personally for giving us such gorgeous shots of women reading in his movies. And Sharmila Tagore for looking so perfect in those glasses. 

PS- Uttam Kumar's voice >>>>> 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)