Aradhana (1969)

It is impossible to watch this movie and not consider a career in full-time Sharmila Tagore simping. All her looks in the first half are captivating and unforgettable, and her eyes! My god, her eyes!!

As for the second half, they did her so dirty, it's unforgivable. We could have gotten milf-Sharmila in her 40s but nah. We got that instead.

Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila's chemistry though... very, very few on-screen couples I can think of who had the ability to string together an entire movie based on their chemistry alone. That too in the first half itself, because they play a mother-son duo in the second half. Don't even ask, but it works somehow.

The other thing that works and has largely contributed to this film becoming a classic is the album. SD Burman and Anand Bakshi, along with Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar and Mohammed Rafi, have produced an album that will never grow old. 

I mean the fact that 'Mere Sapno Ki Rani' is dedicated to Sharmila— appropriate af. 'Roop Tera Mastana' is the ultimate sex song for me, especially because there used to be condom ads back in my childhood that featured this song and were my introduction to it. Lastly, 'Gun Guna Rahe Hain Bhanvre' is one of my favourite songs ever, and I got so excited when I saw Rajesh and Sharmila in the outfits for the song. 

There are some emotions that are simply unique to Bollywood films, and Aradhana walks you through all of them. Truly a cultural experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)