An Awfully Big Adventure (1995)

In all honesty, I only watched this movie because it promised Alan Rickman. I think I should have gone with the TV movie Rasputin (1996) instead, because this one was an excruciatingly uncomfortable watch. Alan Rickman as Captain Hook kinda sorta made up for it though. Hugh Grant too.

The protagonist of the movie, Stella, was frankly unbearable. I understand all the trauma she had in her life, but even with that, ugh, could she be more annoying? I see a lot of people praising her, but all I felt was irritation. Hugh Grant, meanwhile, shone in his portrayal of Meredith Potter, the antagonist full of biting sarcasm who just happens to be gay (the fact woefully eludes dear Stella, who is in love with him). I would 100% watch a movie about Meredith's life.

Would have given it a half star, but Hugh Grant has shook me. One star for him, specifically, and half for Alan Rickman.

Really wishing I'd just seen Rasputin instead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)