Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)

First things first: I didn't know till now that Keira Knightley as a manic pixie dream girl was all that I needed in life. What perfection. What astounding perfection. I mean, I have mostly hated the very idea of the stereotype, from Zooey Deschanel's Summer in (500) Days of Summer (2009) to Margo Roth Spiegelman, the protagonist of John Green's Paper Towns (2008)- for me, this stereotype is as harmful and dehumanising as any other for women. But Keira, ugh. Keira just proves that she can elevate a whole trope all by herself, and I am honestly here for it. Also, I need all the outfits she's wearing- speaking of which, the movie deserves bonus points for the impeccable fashion sense of ALL the characters.

Now, before this post turns into an unabashedly gay love letter for Keira (hey I have had a crush on her since 6th grade, when I head the Hat Song on Wizards of Waverly Place and looked her up on the Internet), I would also like to express my immense gratitude to whoever decided on the movie's soundtrack, which reinforces the entire atmosphere of the movie- gut-wrenchingly sad yet funny and heartwarming. Can't wait to browse through the whole thing soon *raccoon hands*. Also, how good is Steve Carrell?? I am beginning to think that I have been seriously underestimating him all this while. I did not think he was capable of being a convincing rom-com hero, not because of his looks, (YA SHALLOW!) but because he's just too Michael Scott for me. Hence I was both sceptical and hesitant of watching this movie, and was prepared to write this off in case of a romance between him and Keira. But he just... he blew all my preconceived notions and expectations out of the fucking water, and made me love him so much, FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM, and at one point, I even cried.

Oh, and also, since it's International Women's Day today, I would like to mention that this movie was directed and written by a woman, the very talented Lorene Scafaria, who, fun fact, is currently in a relationship with Bo Burnham (did I hear someone say OTP?) It really is a "small world" isn't it? *chuckles and winks*

Also, I can't believe that all the movies I've watched so far this year have been exceptionally good and lovely?? Are years of fine-tuning my research on what-to-watch and trusting my gut instincts finally paying off? *pats self on the back smugly* HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY TO ME!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)