Tell It to the Bees (2018)

Before anything else- trigger warning for rape (in the movie). And also for forced abortion. I was so not prepared for this, and fast-forwarded all these scenes.

Moving on, I think the best way I can categorise this movie is as- "fanfiction in movie form". I could almost swear that I'd read this before on fanfiction.net. And no, I am not looking down on fanfiction- the lord knows my deep connection to it. That's just how I felt, even before the halfway mark of the movie.

I feel what this movie needed more of was nuance. And it was too slow at some places for my liking. And there was a bit too much of melodrama at times. Also, while Anna Paquin was convincing as Dr. Jean Merkham, Holliday Grainger was not. She was lovely, nonetheless, but not gay lovely. And the ending was a total disaster. Gosh, the things we do for gay content. 

Anyway, watch this movie I guess if you're really starving for gay content (ofc u r). Or if you've ever wondered what it would be like to have a good ol' slow burn as a movie (that was not too long to begin with), you've come to the right place. Actually, just don't watch it. Bi.

PS- I could not choose between a one star and a half star, and this is all because of Anna Paquin. I think I'll go with one star. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)