Bright Star (2009)

Came here for Ben Whishaw, fell in love with Abbie Cornish instead. (Not that I still don't love Ben Whishaw).

Firstly, this is one of the most visually gorgeous movies that I have ever seen. I swear, I have looked for so long at the scene where John Keats lies on the cherry blossoms on top of the trees, because it is probably one of the most perfect shots of all time. In my opinion, it encapsulates Keats' life itself- precarious, yet unending beauty. A thing of beauty is a joy forever indeed.

The thing I liked the most about this movie was definitely the fact that it was Fanny Brawne's movie, and that it unequivocally said #feminism. Right from the first scene where Fanny asserts herself, claiming that her designs can sell, unlike Keats' and Charles Brown's poems, to the last scene where she... well, no spoilers here but yeah. I probably now love Fanny more than I love Keats, and I'm fine with it. Also, all her outfits in the movie were A1, and I just LOVE every single scene where she is just sewing or stitching or embroidering. UGH. Can't wait for my impending deep dive into Fanny Brawne's life.

Also, BEN WHISHAW MET HIS FUTURE PARTNER MARK BRADSHAW ON THE SETS OF THIS MOVIE!!! I mean, do I need more reasons to adore this movie!!!!!!!!!!!

The scenes with the cat were an added bonus. And so was Toots, Fanny's little sister!!! I think she was my favourite out of the lot. And speaking of favourites, Charles Brown's undeniably homoerotic attractions and affections for John Keats was just TOO GOOD. I mean, I gasped when Charles took John's hand at the fireside.

Such a great movie. Watch it if you love John Keats, period dramas, #feminism, excellent fashion, homoerotic subtext, or just great visuals. Gotta go now, and re-read some of my favourite Keats.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)