Mustang (2015)

At one point, while watching this movie, I forgot I was watching one, and felt instead that I was talking to a friend who was telling me the story of what happened to these 5 sisters that she knew. It felt that warm, intimate and familiar- probably because I could easily identify with a lot of the familial patriarchal oppression that the girls go through, having been through similar experiences myself.

Mustang was the perfect blend of intense and light-hearted. By calling it light-hearted, I don't mean to trivialise the characters' experiences- what I mean is that they remind one to never let anything break one's spirit. I suppose I am not explaining myself very well. I guess you'll have to watch the movie to find out hehe.

Also, the fact it was directed by a woman (Deniz Gamze Ergüven in her debut venture), and written by two women (Ergüven and Alice Winocour), makes it so much more loveable. And proves, yet again, how important it is for women to be able to tell their own stories.

Added to my favourites list. This one's for you, Sonay, Selma, Ece, Nur, and Lale. And of course, Yasin.

PS- fun fact: my nickname at home is Lale. Yup. Used to be annoyed by it, but appreciate it much more now (probably).

PSS- I really, really, REALLY, wish I had sisters now. REALLY.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)