Ammoru (1995)

I've seen very few movies that were as immersive as this one. From the first few scenes itself, the movie took over my emotions, and even now, almost a day after having watched it, I can't get the image of Ramya Krishnan as a fearsome goddess out of my brain.

Also, let me just talk about Ramya Krishnan for a minute, or I just might explode. Even though the movie is named after her character (Ammoru means "goddess" in Telugu, and in this specific context, refers to a local deity that the villagers pray to), she does not have a very long screen presence. However, whatever scenes that she is a part of are so powerful (I screamed once or twice) that you won't get them out of your head any time soon. She is just that amazing. Thanks, L, for introducing me to this glorious woman.

This movie was so intense that I just had to take a nap after finishing it and even after that, I felt so disoriented. The hatred for the villains in this movie is truly next level exhausting. I did not expect a devotional-cum-horror (although it ends up being neither) movie to be this emotionally overwhelming, to be very honest.

(All these adjectives and superlatives, I feel drowsy again.)

Before I forget: trigger warning for a very disturbing rape scene.

Definitely one of the better horror movies to exist in Indian cinema (I was quite scared and disturbed). Do watch it, if only for some highly cathartic #feminism scenes of a goddess going violently ape-shit on the male villain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)