Andhadhun (2018)

TCU is a gift that keeps on giving . *duayein hands emoji*

Queen T as Simmi Sinha is definitely one of her best roles (I'm halfway convinced though, that a bad Tabu role just cannot exist). The devil is definitely in the details here- look closely, and you'll see the histrionic desperation of an actress whose last chance at stardom was taken away from her, and now her only chance at constructing a masterpiece is through a web of lies, deceit and subterfuge. Every scene is magnificent- nay, every second. I often found myself going back, just to look more clearly at what this woman might be upto now.

The camera-work here is pretty flawless- even though I guessed some of the twists and turns in advance (you are doomed to a lifetime of accurately guessing thriller movies if you read nearly the entire Agatha Christie bibliography in your teens), I still audibly gasped (read: screamed) when they actually happened, and that is all because of the camera, its intricacies and mind games. The frames are almost too gorgeous- really makes you wish for another Sriram Raghavan set in Pune, with the city as the main character.

Another strong point in the movie's favour was the soundtrack- I have been jamming to Naina Da Kya Kasoor for months now. The music becomes its own being here- I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself in any way that makes sense, but you cannot think about this movie and not ruminate over the element of music.

If the film had one weak point for me, it was Radhika Apte. I've never seen any of her other work before, but whatever she did here felt like overacting to me. Maybe I'm just subconsciously (and unfairly) comparing her to the rest of the cast, who have all done absolutely brilliant jobs. Special mention must be made here of Ayushmann Khurana playing the eccentric pianist Akash (this has given me courage to watch more Ayushmann movies), Anil Dhawan as the yesteryear star Pramod Sinha (on-point with the rose-tinted nostalgia), and Manav Vij as Manohar (he plays the typical Bollywood cop so well, I hope he lands some satirical roles in the future). Radhika, however, sticks out like a sore thumb.

However, this is definitely one of my favourite Bollywood thrillers of all time. I realise that's not saying much, since even the likes of Badmaash Company (2010) are considered thrillers here. Well well. God bless Sriram Raghavan, and everyone else involved with this movie. *duayein hands emoji pt. 2*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)