Maachis (1996)

Cannot believe Jimmy Sheirgill (credited here as "Jasjit Shergill") invented acting in his final scene in this movie. And that Veeran (Queen T in her first National Award winning performance) and Palli (Chandrachur Singh in a singularly spectacular performance) invented romance with this exchange- "Zukaam ho gaya hai tumhein." "Tumhein bhi." "Mujhe bhi toh tum hi se laga."

As I was watching Maachis, I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was ahead of its time. It was only after it ended that I realised that it's not- it's actually firmly rooted in the fabric of Indian polity, and that's why, 24 years after its release, I could sense its relevance to the time I am living in. The movie is sheer brilliance- it doesn't glorify or villainise either side. Instead, it shows how ultimately, humans make up these movements. I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. What I'm trying to say is that the movie is not politically aimed- it tries to explore the people who constitute either side of the political divide, and who are not necessarily villains or heroes; they are just human beings trying to salvage their own humanity in the face of structural inequality and apathy. This can be best exemplified by invoking Sanatan (Om Puri, in a tightly-controlled explosive performance), who tells Palli that he is not doing any of this for the future generations, he is doing it for himself, for his own sense of dignity and peace. And that is what all these movements and ideologies come down to: individual desires. 

The dialogues are beautifully written and delivered- one of my favourites was "Na hoti gun agar haathon mein toh shayad kalam hoti". I will not say anymore about this particular line, because I'm afraid it would take away from the experience of watching that particular scene unfold. Hats off to Gulzar for being such an amazing writer. Can't wait to see Aandhi (1975) soon. And of course, Angoor (1982). And Ijaazat (1987). 

A must-watch, for anyone interested in the many convoluted histories of the Indian subcontinent. And for those who think that Jimmy Shergill and Chandrachur Singh have been unfairly underrated and under-utilised in the Hindi film industry. #JusticeForJimmy #ChandruDeservedBetter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)