Mahanati (2018)

Whatever I say about this movie, it'll be less. Even after a day of finishing it, I'm still somehow watching it- I can't stop thinking about specific scenes, dialogues, emotions, characters, events, etc. Maybe I just never want to let this movie go.

The most remarkable thing (amongst many) is how it manages to convey the way in which the lives of superstars affect ordinary people like us, which is done through the sub-plot involving Madhuravani, BA Gold Medallist (Samantha Akkineni) and Anthony (Vijay Devarakonda). The way the whole things unravels is so- empowering is the only word I can come up with. In the most subtle way possible, it made me realise the importance of strong female role models, and why it's absolutely crucial to share their histories. By role models I don't mean to necessarily glorify such women- it's more of a comprehensive understanding of their lives, and why they did the things they did (good and bad).

Another part of the movie that I'm not getting over anytime soon is the attention to detail. Every item of clothing, every object in the background, every second of the script is an exercise in meticulous-ness, and it's the kind of thing that makes you love the movie with every re-watch. The music is excellent, it captures both the rise and fall of Savithri Garu perfectly, making you cry for hours after the movie has ended.

Ugh, I can't actually think about this movie for a few minutes without sinking into a reverie that I cannot translate into words. The first thing, I suppose, that comes to mind when I sink into this reverie is Dulquer Salmaan's performance as yesteryear superstar Gemini Ganesan- the actual man cannot not be despised for the way he treated those around him (Rekha, his daughter, refused to attend his funeral), but you just can't hate Dulquer. I can't even stop thinking about his scenes in the movie, and I actually went back (right after I'd finished the movie) and saw all my favourite moments of him again. And took screenshots. And then spent the rest of the night telling anyone who'd listen why I am in love with Dulquer now. Yep. Can't believe 2020 is the year when I begin stanning men again.

Keerthy Suresh- I don't have the words for her. She basically carried the movie on her very capable shoulders, and didn't let it down for even a second. You couldn't help but feel pride, joy, sadness, anger and every other emotion in existence on behalf of this woman. Another thing that shines through in the characterisation of Savithri Garu is that the film never gives her the Mother Teresa treatment. We are shown exactly why she ended up dead at such a young age, penniless and addicted to alcohol. The film doesn't really shift the blame on Gemini either (though, of course, he had a big role to play in it)- but what I'm trying to say is that there were things in her life that led her to that unfortunate end. I am obviously not trying to make it sound like she deserved it or anything- she very emphatically DID NOT deserve all that agony and trauma and misery. It's the story of a human being, who became a larger than life person, only to have that all taken from her. It's life, it's all the ruthlessness of life- if you get what I mean.

I think the real lesson that can be taken from this movie is that women should just not TRUST any man blindly (looking at you, Sathyam). We need to learn how to think for ourselves, and not let men gaslight us and invade our autonomy and agency. This needs a genuine change in mindset, and a movement away from patriarchy at all levels.

If there's one movie (and only one) that I had to nominate for #feminism, it would be this one. I still can't believe Savithri literally went all out and directed her own movie?? In 2020 India, women directors are still a rarity, and those who somehow manage to exist are just not taken seriously. And to think that she did it back then, it's honestly a little unbelievable for me. Also she had equal pay with her male counterparts- ANR, NTR and Sivaji Ganesan. And Bollywood (and I guess other Indian film industries also) are still INFAMOUS for the wage gap between actors and actresses. Just can't believe Savithri Garu invented big dick energy in the '60s. I'm honestly thankful that I got to watch this movie, so that I could revel in all that BDE too. And hopefully imbibe some of it. So a big, heartfelt thank you to everyone who was involved in this movie, and also to my dear friend who recommended this movie to me. I will go look at all my screenshots again now. Bye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)