Manam (2014)

This was probably one of the most feel-good and heartwarming movies that I have ever seen. It was kind of like the perfect balance of hilarious, sentimental and romantic, and I swear to god it's been some time since I laughed so much during a movie. Special mention to the dynamics between Chaitanya (ANR) and Nagarjuna (Naga Chaitanya) (don't even ask)- the scene where they first meet is etched in my memory and I just might go back and watch it after this "review" is done.

Many have criticised this movie as being "over-simplistic" and the plot twists as "super convenient", and to such people I say- who hurt you? Maybe if you'll sink into a nice suspension of disbelief, you'll feel okay. But seriously, suspension of disbelief was not at all a difficult task within the universe of the movie. It's a movie about reincarnation and family, for fuck's sake. Compared to the travesties dealing with these topics that Bollywood has blessed us with throughout the years (to say absolutely nothing of Hindi TV serials), Manam is truly a gem. I mean, I loved the ChaySam storyline (I'm still lowkey confused by the name of their characters, so ChaySam it is), and I was literally clutching my heart (well, not literally) during their climax scene UGH. ANR was just so cute, like an oversized teddy bear (I don't wanna say my favourite kind of teddy bear, because all teddy bears are awesome, but oversized ones have a special place in my heart). Also, is it just me, or is Sam best at playing 80s character roles? Granted, I have only seen 2 movies of hers, but still.

Speaking of Sam, I can't believe that in a film that also had dear Nagarjuna Akkineni (that too in a double role), it was Sam's present day character Priya that made me cringe the most. Like, no offence to the Akkinenis, but that's how a gal gets kidnapped, raped, and murdered in this country (in that order). However, I did stan Nagarjuna (Chaitanya's character, not his father LOL) a LOT. I mean, it made me realise just how deprived I am of a best friend who loves me, buys me things, and ONLY cares about my happiness, without me having to do a single thing in return, just because I resemble one of his dead parents. Is there really no justice to be had in this cruel, unforgiving world???

Also, I have to say this, being the Tabu trash and Tabs-Nags shipper that I am: Tabu should have done Shriya Saran's role. No offence to Shriya, she's a nice actress only, but come on. Firstly, it would have been more age-appropriate (smh) and secondly, that special friendship & chemistry transcending births? NEED. Man, how I wish we get a new Tabu-Nagarjuna movie one day. Sigh.

Definitely one for the rewatch list. Next time, hopefully I will have someone to watch it with me :( #gocorona

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)