Snegithiye (2000)

Another excellent TCU foray. Tabu plays a high-strung badass cop, who displays early a strong dislike for men and their perpetual violence against women. Because of this aspect, the movie was quite cathartic for me, as India has yet again been rocked by a scandal, one that involves adolescent boys sharing morphed pictures of girls, planning rapes, and what not on a group chat known as "Boys Locker Room". Lovely. It made me relive some of the most traumatising memories from school, and so I was glad that I could witness Tabu enacting all the asinine rage that I felt.

However, this movie is not just about Tabu- it presents itself as an ode to female friendship, and the strong bonds of sisterhood that can never be replicated. It takes place primarily in a girls' college, amongst final-year students and their petty rivalries and jealousies. A major reason why this movie was a refreshing treat is because there were hardly any male characters. And lowkey spoiler, but the only man who is actually named in the film is a dead man. All the more enjoyable.

Otherwise, the movie is a complete masala film. The chase sequences could give any macho actor a run for his money (pun intended). Some of the songs further the narrative, and some are just there. However, Tabu does say no to police brutality, and that made me almost weep with joy. This movie in fact renewed my commitment and enthusiasm for my TCU spiral, for which my commitment-phobic ass is grateful.

Watch it, and make your heart scream #murder-her #feminism.

PS- I cannot believe that my clown brain forgot to add this in the main text, but Gayathri (Queen T) was so totally a lesbian here. In fact, I'll take it 5 steps further and hypothesise that everyone was a lesbian here- Vani "Vasu" (Jyothika) and Radhika (Sharbani Mukherjee) literally try to postpone the latter's wedding so that they can both get married at the same time and be together 4eva. Yes, veeeery heterosexual behaviour. Geetha (Ishita Arun) was no less gay with her fixation on Vasu and Radhika, and this lends itself splendidly to some good old "enemies to lovers" polyamorous homoerotic tension. Just the thing that gives me inner strength. Om Shanti Shanti. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)