Kshana Kshanam (1991)

Oh, to be on the run from both police and an extremely insane criminal gang, with a handsome thief who protected you from goons in a random hotel, and adopted all your problems as his own... and to hear him sing like an angel as you try your best to fall asleep in the forest... and then, after all this is over, take him home to meet your mother in an instantaneous refusal and erasure of class boundaries... RGV was truly at his peak with this movie, and IT SHOWS. From the simple and amazing script, to the lovely cinematography, the evergreen music, and just the sheer breath-taking and scream-inducing aspect of the entire storyline, this one is a must, must watch. It's definitely on my list of 'movies i wish i'd seen first in the cinema hall', because even though watching it in my room was nice and all (especially for the afore-mentioned scream purposes), it would have been an entirely different experience watching it with other people, who were as hooked, as nail-bitey, as Chandu-Sathya shipping as I was.

This was the first Sridevi movie I watched after a gap of many years (and also my first non-Hindi Sridevi movie ever), and I must say that this movie was as special as the occasion demanded. Sridevi Amma is just so relatable as Sathya- I can go back and watch the movie for her idiosyncrasies alone. Also, the moment when she and Chandu (Venkatesh) go to buy new clothes, because the ones they're wearing have been completely damaged, and it's an emergency and all, but she STILL fusses over her aesthetics? "I don't want such bright colours." Yep, yep, yep. Never have I ever felt this represented on the silver screen. Thanks, Tollywood. As for Chandu, he is definitely a man I would happily give rights to. He is just the right amount of chivalrous, without ever displaying symptoms of toxic masculinity, and that is why this film has aged so well. And the way they fall in love? Exquisite. Like I said, it's damn near impossible to watch this movie and not ship them. Their love is so organic, so real, and just so heartwarming- I could easily write a fanfic about them (I will). And for once, I didn't feel the need to skip even one song, because all of them added to the romance, and just the general joy of falling and being in love.

This "review" will be incomplete if I don't mention Paresh Rawal as one of the most asinine villains of all time. Like I couldn't take my eyes off of him whenever he was on screen, just because I did not want to miss even a single crazy thing he did. This performance of his is the perfect mix of his brilliant comic timing, and his mastery over the "bad guy" character. So legendary, yet so underrated. And before I forget, the climax scene was one of the most iconic scenes of all time. It still doesn't beat the Manohar-Sowmya climax scene from Kandukondain Kandukondain, which is my favourite scene of all time, but it does make it onto my top 5. Wow, this year really has been my best year for cinema. *duayein hands emoji* Hope this trend continues, since good movies are pretty much all I have going for me right now. Okay, this just got too real too fast. I will end this now, on a happy note: Sridevi rocks!! And also, I'm a Venkatesh fan now. He's also there in Queen T's first ever movie, and I honestly can't wait to watch that one. *happy note ends and I go back to my semi-permanent existential crisis mode*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)