Sadma (1983)

Spoilers ahead (I will try to not divulge too much of the plot, and stick to the reactions it evoked in me, but still. Knowing the ending is definitely ruining the movie for yourself, so I would advise you to go watch the movie, and then come back).

This was probably the saddest movie I have ever seen, but I am yet to cry. I mean, I cried a lot in the beginning, in the prostitution racket bit, but I am yet to cry after the ending. And the reason is because this movie made me confront my own morality in such a subtle yet powerful way that I can't shed tears, because who will I be shedding them for? All the misgivings I had while watching the movie were proven unfounded by the ending, and yet, my heart still broke. There was a profound sense of grief, that I am not even going to try and put into words. That shot of Kamal Haasan in the rain in the railway station- how does one move past it? Even though that's how I know it should have ended, since there is no other ethically superior alternative, at least none that I can think of. 

Sadma is probably enough for one to realise why Sridevi and Kamal Haasan are such legends in the history of Indian cinema. And honestly, hats off to Sridevi Amma especially. She plays a woman who suffers trauma, develops amnesia, and regresses to a child-like state, and I think I do not need to elaborate what happens to such characters in Bollywood- they're just present for comic relief. In fact, even within the realm of comedy, the portrayal is not very tasteful. I was quite sceptical, but Sridevi Amma just blew all my expectations out of the fucking water. I personally think that no other actress could have been this natural, could have made me feel so much for this character and want nothing but the best for her. A lot has been said about Kamal Haasan's acting in the climax, and rightly so. That sequence deserves its own award category. 

Also, the award for the most appropriate title goes to this movie, because I was (am) very traumatised, but not exactly in a bad way ("Sadma" is the Hindi word for "trauma"). 

I feel like there's so much I have to say about this movie, but the words just won't come. Sigh. The one thing I do want to add is now I understand why I have kind of always associated the song "Aye Zindagi Gale Laga Le" with sadness, even though the song is actually not sad. I know it probably doesn't make sense, but well, neither did that for me. "Aye Zindagi Gala Daba De" was always my joke. And now I don't think I'll ever make it again, because it'll be too painful. 

Yep, this really is the saddest movie I have ever seen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)