Bichhoo (2000)

Confession: I have not seen Léon: The Professional (1994), and hence, have no views about it.

Now that that is out of the way, let's focus on Guddu Dhanoa's Bichhoo. Not that I could, but okay. The first thing I want to say, and the thing that irritated me the most, was that I did not understand the significance of the "bichhoo", neither as the title, nor as Jeeva's (Bobby D in another iconic role) pet. Was it supposed to show how J's "edginess"? It didn't really succeed in that, if that was the intention tbh. Also, this barely escapes the "god-tier" cinema list, because of the fact that I completely zoned out in the last half hour or so, and only zoned back in towards the end. Probably because I knew that I'd have to rewind (#closureissues) and no way in hell was I prepared for that. It was just so... eh. And the reason, I believe, is because of the weird transformation that Kiran (Rani Mukerji) goes through. From this incredibly angsty teenager she turns into this submissive little idiot, and with that goes the one engaging thing about the movie: Kiran's antics.

In all fairness, the reason why I watched this movie in the first place was because of Rani, and my lifelong thirst for her. Foetus grunge Rani is honestly a whole other level of CUTE, and I can never get over how weird and unhinged she was in this movie, right up till the point she confesses her love to Jeeva (that scene itself was adorable, but what happens after that- well, I literally don't know, since I zoned out). The bit where she serves him a bowl of dal, which has an extinguished cigarette in it; or the bit where she dismantles all of Bobby D's guns and washes them (Gopi Bahu WHO?)- all of them, PRICELESS. However, the most iconic would have to be when she pulls the bedsheet out from under her stepmother's sister, and has a huuuuge screaming tantrum when her father and stepmother scold her. What a mood, honestly. And before I forget, that stepmother is Dolly Bindra doing what she does best- bullying people. (Throwback to when she bullied Queen T in Silsiilay).

Otherwise, this movie sucked, big time. My least favourite part was when Fareeda Jalal self-immolated. Sigh. Only worth watching if you are a hardcore Rani fan, and that's it. Or, of course, if you consider Bobby D as an iconic member of the god-tier cinema fraternity in Bollywood. I am both, btw, in case any doubt was left. For everyone else: AVOID. Khuda haafiz.

PS- I had no idea that Hans Raj Hans' one lasting contribution to music, the song 'Dil Tote Tote Ho Gaya' was from this movie. And as is appropriate, the song exists in the movie for absolutely no discernible reason. #legendsonly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)