Intlo Illalu Vantintlo Priyuralu (1996)

I almost started to deal with the morality of Intlo Illalu Vantintlo Priyuralu once it ended, but stopped myself just in time. It was a delightfully amoral 90s comedy movie, and that was just perfect for the mood I was in. And when I say comedy, I mean the kind where your stomach and head hurt from laughing too much. 

It's interesting how the two E.V.V. Satyanarayana movies I've watched (the first being Aavida Maa Aavide) have similar elements- the husband with two wives situation and the subversion of Ramayana (shhh, don't let the bhakts in). However, the two movies are genuinely very different, and at no point do either of them feel stale, which is saying a lot, considering how thematically close they are to each other. 

The best part about this movie was everyone's excellent comic timing, and just how insane and over the top everything was. Also, I would just like to know which genius decided to base part of the movie in Nepal, without doing even the most rudimentary research? Buddhist monks conduct Hindu weddings, and that is not even the beginning of the whole racist fuckfest. I had been warned about the racism, but it so did not prepare for... I do not have the words to describe it.

Can't wait to watch Hello Brother (1994) the next time I am in the mood for some 90s insanity. I really wish Jambalakidi Pamba had English subtitles somewhere, because it just sounds like the craziest out of the lot. Sigh. You really can't get everything you want. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)