Johnny Gaddaar (2007)

More than 12 hours after finishing this movie, I'm still shook by how Sriram Raghavan's brain functions. He's one of the few "auteurs" I don't despise on principle, primarily because both the movies I've seen of his (this one, and Andhadhun) have pretty much blown my mind away. In an interview, Tabu said that whatever happens in a Sriram Raghavan movie can only happen in that world he creates, and I agree with it. His worlds are so engrossing, so all-consuming, and more than anything, so INSANE that you know from the beginning of the film itself that you'll lose out if you let your attention wander for even a second.

Another thing that I really appreciate in his movies is the music, which doesn't just add to the narrative, but also becomes an intrinsic part of it. It's hard to imagine both Johnny Gaddaar and Andhadhun without the music, that sometimes lulls you into a false sense of security, and sometimes heightens the tension that's playing out on screen. Also, the casting. Every actor was so well-suited for their role- my favourites being Dharmendra's Sheshadri, and Ashwini Kalsekar's Varsha. Kalsekar is slowly filling a void in my heart that I never knew existed; and I am pleasantly surprised by how good Dharam Paaji was. I've always read and heard that he is a superb actor, and now I'm starting to believe it too. Now I want to lowkey watch some Sunny Deol and Esha Deol movies, because my only reference point for Dharmendra till now was that he's Bobby Deol's father (don't blame me, blame nepotism), and I do want to know how the rest of his progeny compares.

I don't want to talk more about the plot, because #spoilers, but for the sake of my gay-genda I will say that there was something homoerotic about the way Inspector Kalyan (Govind Namdeo) reacted to someone's death. Phew. Dodged that one *pats self on the back*.

Go watch it. And then watch the rest of Sriram Raghavan's filmography, as I am planning to, INCLUDING revisiting the episodes he wrote for the iconic Hindi TV series, CID. Seriously, is there no end to this man's coolness and stannability? No? Fine, I'll give another man rights. Byeeeee. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)