Solo (2017)

Hmm, so technically I watched Athadey, the Telugu dubbed version (it was the only one I could find with English subtitles). At this rate, I'm going to have a decent understanding of Telugu by the end of the year. #blessed

If this movie proves one thing, it's that Dulquer Salmaan is one of the best actors of his generation. He shines in all 4 segments, portraying 4 wildly different people in such a terrific manner. If I had to choose, my favourite would be Siva from the third segment. It's a treat- Siva hardly ever speaks, but his eyes, his body language, and his facial expressions tell you all that you need to know. My favourite scene from the movie is also from this segment- the one where the focus is on a man sleeping, and there's a young boy running on the road outside. I did a terrible job of explaining it, I know, but anyway, you won't get it unless you've seen the movie. Which you totally should, if you're a Dulquer fan. Otherwise, well, I'll tell you the otherwise.

The weakest link in Solo is the first story. It felt too all over the place, too distorted, too rushed. It was only with the second story that I became truly invested. Another aspect of the movie that I disliked was that none of the actresses could act (except dear Suhasini of course). And on top of it, all the parts written for women were so bad, especially when compared to Dulquer's parts. This was a recipe for disaster- half the time, I had no emotional response to the stories because of how bad the actresses were. Also, the spiritual Shaivik parts felt a bit gimmicky to me. Maybe it's the fact that I was a hardcore Shiva-devotee for 10 years, but I think they could have been really outstanding had a little more attention been paid to them. Or, in their defence, maybe it's another "lost in translation" moment.

Watch this movie for a truly superlative performance by Dulquer, and nothing else. Bhole Baba ki Jai. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)