Innale (1989)

It will take me some time to start moving on from Shobana's beauty in this movie. The name 'Maya' fits her in more ways than one- she is illusory, but with a depth that leaves you speechless. I can't see anyone other than her doing this role justice, and even though I am yet to see many Shobana movies, I am still counting this as one of her best performances. The way she carries the viewer along in her amnesiac daze- Innale is honestly enough for anyone to fall deeply in love with her.

The script is excellently written and executed. Through Maya, we are made to question our own reliance on memories- how we build ourselves and even the world around us based on what we remember. This is further extended to "what we choose to remember" in the climax scene with Dr. Narendran (Suresh Gopi). To add further nuance to the script are the cinematography by Venu, and the direction by Padmarajan. By setting the movie in a remote corner of Kerala, the director reinforces the notion that the absence of our memories can lead us to a place far away from all we know and cherish, both literally and figuratively. The picturesque locales lend gravity to Maya's pathos- even though her surroundings are peaceful and soothing, her anguish seemingly has no solution in sight. 

Apart from Shobana, Jayaram and Srividya are both brilliant in their portrayals of Sarath Menon (who falls in love with Maya) and his mother, Dr. Sandhya, respectively. This is another curious thing about the film- not only do we see Maya's point of view (as befuddling as it is), but we also see her through the gaze of Sarath and Dr. Sandhya, emphasising the paradox of her character being both an illusion and a real person who has gone through an unimaginable tragedy. I also liked the comedy track featuring Innocent and KPAC Lalitha. It effortlessly cut through the seriousness of the script without undermining it in any way, or making a mockery out of the whole situation. 

I really cannot wait to rewatch this movie multiple times, falling in love with the way it's told over and over again. I am once again repeating that Shobana is too beautiful to be true in this movie, and it would be a disservice to her vast talent to watch this movie only once. 

Spoilers ahead:
PS- The climax scene wasn't "heart-breaking" for me because I was too busy feeling relieved that Maya and Sarath end up together. I had no patience for Dr. Narendran, and I was happy that he goes away without a fuss, because that meant that my OTP can be united after all. Even though this led me down the moral dilemma of wondering whether Maya ever retains her "Gauri" memories and remembers her life with Dr. Narendran, but I will just conveniently ignore it because I love Maya and Sarath way too much. I just had to get it off my chest, bye.
Spoilers over. Along with the "review". Bye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)