Maayavi (2005)

Throughout the movie (I technically watched Kidnap, the Telugu dubbed version), I had to restrain myself from thinking about its morality. And of course, the fact that Indian cinema can't seem to understand that feminism and class discourse can exist side by side- it doesn't have to be either/or. Not that it takes a genius to figure out why this particular device is employed, time and again. Oh, well.

Keeping these two factors aside though, I really enjoyed the movie. I found it goofy, witty and charming (the only love triangle I stan), and I particularly loved all the meta bits (Jyothika literally plays a fictional version of herself). The genius of the movie lies in the performances of Suriya and Jyo, honestly, more than the script itself. And even though this didn't have too many cute/emotional Jyo-Suriya bits (which are practically sustaining me these days), it was nevertheless amazing to see their chemistry in a totally different aspect. MY SHIP HAS A FANTASTIC RANGE AND I AM SO HERE FOR IT. Also, the music totally rocked. 100% recommend.

This will probably end up being those movies I revisit from time to time, when I'm bored, or when I'm seeking comfort. It just has that vibe that I like so much, but can't really explain. Maybe I'll write something better when I rewatch it lol. Bye. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)