Iyer The Great (1990)

Sigh. The things we do for our faves. This movie was a waste of both Geetha and Shobana. That smouldering mountain of talent, all for nothing because obviously, it's Iyer who's great. Before you judge me for whining about something that the title explicitly states, let me inform you that for some reason I thought this was going to be comedy. I was not expecting "Iyer The Great" to be taken seriously at all, because, who would?? And yes, I know this doesn't exactly show me in a flattering light, but I don't care. Guess one must be prepared for such things to happen when one routinely jumps into movies without knowing the firs thing about them.

The movie is so blatantly casteist and anti-minority, it's disgusting. At one point, Suryanarayana Iyer even makes an explicitly proud reference to himself as a "twice-born". And both the main groups of villains being either Muslim extremists, or cunning Christians? Lovely. It's only Iyer who is righteous and good. Not good, he's GREAT. Ugh. Please save me from more Mammootty-Shobana trainwrecks. My fault for getting my hopes up after Ee Thanalil Ithiri Nerum. The only saving grace was Sukumari, and the fact that despite everything, Geetha, Shobana and Mammootty are terrific actors, and they can salvage pretty much everything. Silver linings.

Iyer might have been great, this movie, not so much. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)