Khubsoorat (1980)

Hrishikesh Mukherjee just might be my favourite genre in Bollywood. His movies are so warm, so timeless- they can brighten up the darkest of days, and help one escape into a simpler time, where problems were solved with politeness, the music was fun and the lyrics were witty, and everyone had tremendous respect and affection for each other.

My favourite part about Khubsoorat has to be how chaotic yet loveable Rekha is. Her constant mischief never feels over the top or disrespectful, which is the treatment most women of her kind get in Hindi cinema. I loved the way Rekha carries this role with ease, almost as if she was made to play Manju. Another woman I cannot get over in this movie is obviously the powerhouse Dina Pathak. Even I was scared of her at some point! The rest of the characters were also really well cast, the dynamics between them lending another layer of charm to the movie. Special mention to Ashok Kumar and Ranjit Chowdhury, who are both scene-stealers. The level of comedy in this movie is truly iconic, and if that's not enough to make you watch it, I really can't help you anymore.

I am honestly looking forward to watching its Tamil remake, which has darling Revathi in Rekha's role. I just know it'll be as wholesome and lovely, and well, god knows I need more of that vibe in my life. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)