Meendum Kokila (1981)

Apparently, Rekha was supposed to do the Deepa role, but walked out without giving a reason. A shame honestly, because then we could have gotten three Indian cinema legends on screen together- Sridevi, Kamal Haasan, and Rekha. 

Meendum Kokila is sexist, casteist, and kind of drags in the second half. That being said, I love this movie a lot, and it's probably all because of how amazing and hilarious Sridevi and Kamal Haasan are. Plus, I found the ending very warm and interesting. It makes me want to hug Sridevi. I don't care if it's a weird reaction, that's my Amma, you hater, and I am perfectly valid. I also appreciate that they fleshed out Deepa's character and made her stand up for herself (AS SHE SHOULD, YOU DO YOU QUEEN), and didn't resort to the typical "evil woman who wants to wreck a marriage" trope. For that alone, it stands out in the endless parade of "husband cheats on wife, she tries to get him back" movies that Indian cinema has blessed us with.

SPOILER AHEAD:
As much as I appreciate the ending, I must clarify that I am actually Team-Sridevi-and-Deepa-fall-in-love-and-dump-Kamal-and-raise-the-child-together. That's the solace my heart needed, and I will never forgive heteronormativity for depriving me of the same. It's an unfair world.
SPOILER OVER.

This is a movie that I'll probably end up revisiting a lot, just to fall in love with Amma's cuteness all over again. And also to shake my head contemptuously at Kamal Uncle's dickheadedness. I mean, it is one of the most accurate portrayals of fuckbois ever, without the glorification. Also, the little kid was too adorable for words. Yep, rewatch material for sure. Love you, Amma. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)