Vazhvey Maayam (1982)

I am usually not a fan of these typical Indian melodramas (the title literally translates to 'Life is an Illusion'), but how do I say no to Sridevi and Kamal Haasan? Let's face it, I am pretty much incapable of disliking a movie with the two of them. And yes, this also extends to my other favourite on-screen couples. I know this is probably against the rules of being a "cinephile" or something, but whatever. It's 2020 and I'll cling on to whatever little piece of happiness I can find.

Also, I don't know about you, but I find a lot of satisfaction in tropes well done, especially if the movie contains all the tropes belonging to that specific genre. I hope I make sense, because I honestly don't think I have the braincells to properly articulate what I'm trying to say otherwise. But basically, this movie has all the tropes belonging to a romance drama- rich boy is madly in love, girl doesn't like him initially, he finds a willing ally in one of her friends, she already has an admirer, he pulls out all the stops to impress her/make her fall in love with him, she tells him off fiercely only to later realise that no one will love her like he does, families oppose, etc. etc. And since it's Sridevi & Kamal Uncle, it's all very pleasing and fun to watch. The comedy is quite good too, which is always a bonus (special shout-out to Manorama). To top it all off, you have the golden couple dancing along to some bops. You'll never even know where the two and a half hours went, and isn't all that we're looking for in cinema? An escape? Yes, think about that before you judge someone for liking a movie for whatever reason (I will of course continue judging people, because yes, I'm a hypocrite).

I really hope people take up the job of subtitling and streaming all Sridevi-Kamal Haasan movies. God knows I'm gonna need that as the years go by. Yep, old woman me is here to stay. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)