Venky Mama (2019)

I watched this movie last night, and woke up today with the lines "Coca Cola, Pepsi, Mama-Alludu Sexy" playing in my head. I am not kidding, these lyrics constituted my very first thought of the day. What can I say, I just naturally gravitate towards the most profound words.

Venky Mama continues the trend of Tollywood fanfics after Manam (2014), and I'm here for it, even though it's decidedly less wholesome or even engaging than its predecessor. If only they had focused more on a good script, instead of I don't even know what, we would have had another classic on our hands. Venkatesh was very obviously the best part about the movie, and almost made me cry on more than one occasion. I'm telling you, that man can do anything. His range is extraordinary, and so is the fact that he does not seem to be ageing at all. Yes, I know the line is supposed to be "Mama-Alludu Sexy", but let's face it: it's the Mama who's truly sexy. Argue with the walls.

They did Prakash Raj dirty here by not allowing him to tap fully into the vast pools of talent that he has. Nassar got a sweeter deal: he was both fother and villain (partially though) and was good at it. Get you a man who can do both. The female leads were... there. And Chaitanya should stick to Manam type roles only. I mean, I have nothing against the guy (except Ye Maaya Chesave) but please, his true talent lies in being funny, specifically as a fuckall youngster who sasses his elders. Not gonna lie, I was controlling my laughter in most of his dramatic, tear-jerking scenes. Oh, who am I kidding, I was laughing out LOUD in those scenes. That man can't do drama, and it's fine. Stick to what you know!! AND SHINE AT IT!!!! 

The last scene of the movie left me mildly uncomfortable because... well, if you know you know. "Mama-Alludu Sexy" gets a whole new lease of life with that scene. And that's all I will say. Now I must go and think long and hard about why I used that line 3 times in this "review". Bye. 

PS- #VenkyMamaDeservedBetter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Aasai (1995)

Pokiri (2006)