Dongaata (1997)

This is such a difficult "review" for me to write. Mostly because I feel like I'm betraying Sanjana (Kajol's character in Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha) (context: both Dongaata and PTHHT are remakes of French Kiss, a 1995 American movie) (further context: PTHHT is a childhood favourite of mine). But I'll say it anyway: I think I found Dongaata a better film than PTHHT. Not that I don't love PTHHT. Oh devvuda, why did you have to do this to me? 

I think the best part about Dongaata is how well it has been localised- it really doesn't feel like a remake, even after knowing that it is one. I loved how the characters had been fleshed out, and you understood their motivations, which is lacking (understatement) in most 90s rom-coms. Soundarya played the naive village girl so well- usually I hate how innocent and stupid such characters are shown to be, but this time I really just wanted to protect her at all costs. And of course, that chemistry between Jagapathi Babu (cue Balayya's shayari for him) and Soundarya is the stuff dreams are made of. You can't help but ship them. Few scenes have touched me the way this one scene towards the end has- where Jaggu touches a sleeping Soundarya on the train AS IF HE WANTS TO MAKE SURE SHE'S REAL AND HE'S NOT IMAGINING THINGS MY GOD MY HEART MELTED AND I HAVE NOT BEEN THE SAME SINCE. *cries again*

Okay, I'm fine now. But basically, this is a must-watch for fans of the fake dating trope. Just perfect. And for fans of 90s Indian cinema (there is no shame in admitting to it ffs it's 2020). And of course, for those who love #BaavaPropaganda. Trust me, you will not be let down. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)