Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988)

Despite all my problems with this movie (which we will come to shortly), I fully understand and agree when it's called a "milestone in the history of Indian cinema". I had seen this before as a kid, and comparing my reactions then to my reactions now, I not only see how I have grown as a person, but also appreciate the impact that cinema, especially popular cinema, has on both collective and individual consciousness.

Let's start with my complaints: my biggest one is with the blatant Rajput pride that operates as a central talking point in the movie. As realistic as it is (yes, that was shade at the Rajputs' pride and not at the movie), it get tiring after a while. I legit wanted to take a shot everytime someone mentioned their caste, because there was no way I wanted to be sober for such shameless casteist propaganda. The second thing that irked me was that even though Raj & Rashmi's love story was easily the best (and seemingly the most important) part of the movie, it actually doesn't get enough screen time- which is a SHAME, because Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla have ridiculously good chemistry. Thirdly, in the great and noble tradition of Indian cinema, the romance between the lead pair begins on flimsy grounds. I know it makes sense within the universe of the movie, but I have had enough of a boy and a girl looking at each other and immediately deciding that they want to spend the rest of their lives together. There must be something more, no? Had the characters of Raj and Rashmi, and the reason for their romance been fleshed out more, this would easily be one of my favourite love stories of all time, because the trajectory that the relationship takes is honestly goals not just for Indian cinema, but also for people watching the movie. 

Which brings me to why I feel this movie is a must-watch, and deserves the cult status it has acquired through the years- more than the love between Raj & Rashmi, it's the mutual respect that draws me to this movie again and again. In the famous scene where Rashmi fails to cook a proper meal, Raj apologises to her by saying that it was his fault for entrusting the job to her without even asking if she was okay with it. Now tell me: how many men in your own life can you see apologising so sincerely when they're hungry and the woman who they asked to cook for them is unable to give them food? Yep, thought so. Another thing I appreciated was that during their "separation", he never forces her to meet him like too many (way too many) male leads, because he knows what the repercussions would be, and he doesn't think it's worth the risk because he has full faith in their love anyway. I know all of this might sound like the bare minimum, but trust me, there is no such thing as "bare minimum" when it comes to male romantic leads in Indian cinema. Raj is one of his kind, and I will just not accept any arguments against him.

Coming to Rashmi now- first of all, I love how she saves herself from the goons, and doesn't need Raj to protect her. And the best part is how she's unapologetic about it. That's the normalisation of STRONG female leads that we so desperately need, even today. Being strong should never be the ONLY thing a strong female lead has as a personality- it should be a part of her, just like her vulnerability. Is it really that hard to understand? Secondly, I love how Rashmi pursued Raj as much (if not more) as he did. A healthy relationship cannot be founded on one-sided love, where the female partner is just a passive recipient of the male partner's affections and attentions. I'm glad my girl Rashmi got to exercise her agency unlike so many of her contemporaries (and so many who came after her too). Thirdly, it was so good to see Rashmi having hobbies and interests outside of getting married. Again, I know it sounds like the "bare minimum" but that doesn't exist for normal female representation either in our cinema. I loved (yes, I am very much aware that I'm overusing the word now) how it was her interest in photography that drew her and Raj together in an organic way (I mean, as organic as it can be, considering they pretty much fall in love at first sight), and not something that he was doing. It's borderline revolutionary actually- in any standard '80s fare, it would be the hero taking creepy shots of the heroine, but here, it's Rashmi who takes beautiful shots of Raj (she was a golden hour enthusiast before it was cool). Fourthly, it was gratifying to see Rashmi normalising your crush not liking you back. Like I said, their romance was GENIUS and that's why, it was frustrating to not have it in more depth. 

I can't not talk about Kavita, Rashmi's best friend who was instrumental in getting the two lovers together. The scene where they run away is the most underrated #SquadGoals moment, and I am so not okay with it. And of course, the music. THE MUSIC. I have revisited the album more than I have revisited the movie, and let me just say, "evergreen" is an understatement when it comes to describing it. My favourite song is "Gazab Ka Hai Din"- even in 2020 when gazab ke din have been a rarity (to say the least), that song does not fail to warm up my heart. So, so precious. Listen to it already if you haven't.

I really don't know how to end this "review"- there are so many things I still want to say about this movie, but I can't find the words. I think it's also because it's so well-directed that even though you know exactly what will happen, you still feel anxious about Raj and Rashmi's fate and want to protect them, even though- well, it's a movie, after all. As an audience member, you can't change it. 

Anyway- despite all the flaws I discovered while watching it this time around, I will probably end up going back to this movie again, if only to revisit my childhood, and go back to that innocent time when I was shook to discover that Romeo and Juliet and QSQT were eerily similar. And of course, to be thank my lucky stars that when I watched it as a kid, I took away the right lessons (the amazing relationship between Raj & Rashmi) and not the wrong ones (caste pride). So even though technically this is a #ChildhoodRuined moment, it doesn't feel like one, all thanks to those cuties. And I will forever be grateful for that, for keeping that little corner of my childhood intact. #Blessed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)