Virasat (1997)

My biggest take-aways from this movie, in decreasing order of how long they stayed in my brain while watching the movie:

1. "Man, what an actor"- in response to every scene starring Mr. Amrish Puri.

2. "I'm not just a thirsty hoe, Pooja Batra is actually an underrated goddess"- while simultaneously breaking down along with her in the scene where she confronts Shakti (Anil Kapoor).

3. "Have I been sleeping on Anil Kapoor all this while? Just like I have done with Madhuri Dixit??"- the first part because I was stunned by how engaging I found his performance, and the second part- well, let's just say that I am a Mads simp on top of everything else now.

4. "HOW CUTE IS TABU? JUST HOW CUTE IS SHE?"- I think this one is pretty self-explanatory.


Definitely one of the better 90s movies (train station scenes included), if you can handle the Thakur chest-thumping which is the foundation of this movie- although I must add here that the story does a good job of deconstructing toxic hyper-masculinity here. I just wish it had been a little less subtle, and a lot more explicit. Also, if anyone has any leads on where I can watch the Tamil OG of this movie, Thevar Magan (1992), then do please let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aasai (1995)

Shyam Singha Roy (2021)

Pokiri (2006)